Skip to main content

Packing Do's and Don'ts



If you're like most girls, you probably over pack for EVERYTHING! 
"This summer, stick to the 50-percent packing method. So pack your suitcase once, take every thing out, pick half of all that stuff and re-pack. Seriously. Brilliant, right?"


Ummm... No. I saw this on another website and I was like "Seriously???" You can bet that if I take the time to pick out clothes, set up outfits, and pack them in my suitcase, I AM NOT taking it all back out again!!
So since we have officially ruled out that packing method, how about we discuss some other ways to save space and avoid overpacking! :)


DO:

1. Check the calendar.
If you're just going away for a weekend, you don't ten shirts, three skirts, two pairs of shorts, five pairs of jeans, and 500000000000000000..... pairs of shoes just because you might need them. You won't. For short trips, put together outfits in your mind that you love and you know you will wear. For longer trips, pack a few pairs of shorts and pants that you know you can wear a few times and that you know are very versatile, and a few colorful (matching) tops to go along with them!


2. Be a weather girl!
If you're going to the beach, you mostly need sundresses, tank tops, and bathing suits, so ditch all of those extra jeans and hoodies. BUT, definitely bring along one light jacket, because beach nights can be cool. Not sure about the forecast? Head to weather.com and do some research.


3. Mix it up.
You can't go wrong with mix ‘n’ match basics, like jeans, khaki shorts and black and white tees. You can mix and match tops and bottoms when the clothes are simple and no one will notice. Bonus idea? Bring along a few colorful camis, statement pieces of jewelry, and colorful hip and waist belts (all of these things are small and easy to pack). This way, if an outfit is looking to plain for your taste one day, you can spice it up a bit with some accessories!

4. Save space.


  • Packing sneakers or boots? Roll up your socks and undies and stick them in there. 
  • Suitcase has an expander zipper? Use it instead of bringing another bag. 
  • Don't forget pockets! Most suitcases have a bunch of small outer pockets, don't let that space go to waste!
  • Pack the heaviest stuff on the bottom and work your way up.
  • Take the product, leave the packaging. Pack every possible thing you can in travel containers, they are smaller so they fit better.
  • Roll clothes!  They don't crease and they fit in your bag better.



DON'T:

1. Bring everything you own.
Taking along a few extra items "just in case” is OK, but bringing four seasons worth of clothes is ridiculous. Remember, you’re going to be lugging this around—so don’t weigh yourself down.

2. Forget your itinerary.
If you're heading to sports camp, then pack athletic clothes, sneakers and plenty of socks. You don't need to pack tons of sundresses. If you’re spending a week at the lake, taking those high strappy sandals would be crazy, right? Keep in mind what you’re gonna do and pack accordingly.


3. Tote huge toiletries.
Stock up on tiny versions of your fave products. Or, if you’re going away with a big group, talk about things you can all share (one person bring the shampoo, someone else gets the conditioner). if you're going to be staying in a hotel, you don't need to bring soap and shampoo since they'll have them and will restock the supply every day. Pack a small conditioner in case the 2-in-1 shampoo doesn't work for you (I personally am not a big fan).

4. Go super glam.
Sure, you wanna look cute on your vacation, but bringing along valuables is a bad, bad idea.  Bring a few pieces of cheap jewelry but leave your most cherished pieces at home, in case they get misplaced or lost by the airport. Need a piece to add punch to an outfit? Head to a nearby shop, get a cute souvenir, and wear it immediately!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emerald Isle Pics

I have been asked to post some more of my personal pictures of Emerald Isle since the last post I made, I actually haven't had the opportunity to go back since I got my new camera (and laptop) so I don't have any current pictures. I do happen to have some pictures of the beach (it was early spring and early in the morning, so they are kind of bland) that we went to on a school trip that is just a short distance up the island.  I hope you like them!! :) I PROMISE I will post some more (better ones) as soon as I can!

Nadine West: Fourth Shipment

So this wasn't the most successful shipment ever, but I still got one nice piece out of it!  And they left me a sweet surprise which I'll tell you about at the end, so I wasn't upset at all! This is actually two items from my shipment!  This outfit contains both the shirt and leggings from this month, and they kind of go together!   Though I really liked the pattern of the leggings, they are much more like tights.  They were totally see through, which made me pretty sad.  If they were marketed as tights then I wouldn't be too disappointed, but these were called Leggings.  They retailed for $14.49, and I didn't keep them. The shirt fit very well and was extremely comfy.  I have been looking for a shirt this color, so I was pretty excited to see it in my bag, even though it is pretty basic.  This shirt also retailed for $14.49, and I did elect to keep it! These are the "Beauty Within" earrings, and I'm actually pretty sure I received

January Love With Food Subscription Box

(Stay tuned for a special Valentine's giveaway towards the end of this post!) So after searching around on  My Subscription Addiction  for a subscription box to try out for free or on the cheap to see if I liked it, I found this Love with Food box! They had a promotion going where the first month was free (except for shipping), so for all of this I paid $2! The first thing I found upon opening my box was this pamphlet giving a description of all of the products inside! Isn't it cute?? It says... "What does 2015 have in store? All good things! While now's the time for New Year's Resolutions and looking foreword, give yourself a little love for what you have already achieved. With the purchase of this box, you helped to feed a hungry child. If that's not a great way to start off the New Year, we're not sure what is!" And this was what I saw after moving all of the paper... The first thing on top was Breakfast in Paris Black T