Skip to main content

College Countdown: Packing Clothing and Cleaning Out

Let's tackle the packing part first...
Instead of folding or rolling all of the clothes which needed to be hung up and carting them to college in a suitcase, I left them on hangers and wrapped a trash bag around them.  Once arriving in my dorm I hung them up, cut off the bags, and everything was great! 
Also, if you can guarantee that you won't need your warm winter kind of clothing until after Fall Break, then don't bring it!  Take home summer clothes over Spring Break and bring back any fall clothes (which I'll mark on this list with a * for convenience).
Many people on the Internet strictly recommend the thin felt hangers, I have used cheap Walmart hangers and haven't had a problem, so I guess it's personal preference!
  • Dresses
    • Little Black Dress
    • Versatile Skirt
    • "Party" Dress
    • Sunday Dress
  • Shirts
    • Button Downs - Can be worn as light jackets in the spring and fall, or more formally if needed.  I suggest bringing:
      • Denim/Chambray 
      • Flannel
      • White
    • T-shirts - Don't bring a ton because you will acquire many more throughout the year, just your favorites
    • Basic V-Necks
  • Camisoles - Basic versitile colors
  • Cardigans
  • Jackets
    • Rain Jacket
    • Light Fashionable Jacket
    • Warm Jacket* - If necessary for your area
My room came with a dresser, which is where I keep all things I fold.
  • Pants
    • Leggings*
    • Shorts
    • Jeans* - Limit yourself until it gets colder, they take up quite a bit of room 
    • Athletic Shorts
  • Pajamas - Limit yourself, you won't need them all!
  • Bras/Panties and Socks - Obviously...
I stuck a command hook on the inside of my closet to hang my bags.
  • Bags/Wallets
    • Wristlet/Clutch
    • Wallet
    • Card Holder - Such as one that can be attached to a lanyard
    • Backpack
    • Crossbody Bag or Purse of choice
Our closet actually came with a built in shelving unit/shoe rack!
  • Shoes
    • Walking Sandals such as Tevas or Chacos
    • Flats
    • Heels - ONE pair! I promise you won't need more
But these won't fit on the rack, so they go beside my hamper on the floor.
    • Tennis Shoes
    • Boots* 
    • Rain Boots
I bought a hanging cupe organizer and on the top shelf I store things like my hats.  In the rest of my cubes I store random things such as extra hangers, bras, a laundry bag, etc.
  • Baseball Cap
  • Beanie*
  • Belt
Scarves are most easily stored on scarf hangers which you can buy just about anywhere these days.

  • Scarves
    • Printed
    • Solid color
    • Warm Winter Scarf*

Now all of your favorite clothes are packed away... what to do with the rest?  Clean them out!  Go through and pull out anything you know you won't wear.  You are starting a new stage in your life, start with a clean clothing slate.  After you have them cleaned out you can donate them, or possibly even take them to a consignment store and make some of your money back!


I will link below the rests of the posts in this series, and thank you all for coming on this countdown to college journey with me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reese's Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake

Reese's Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake So I made this recipe for my dad's Birthday and everyone absolutely loved it! Thought you might want to try it, Good Luck! :) Ingredients Oreo Cookie Crust Ingredients: 1 cup finely-crumbled Oreo cookies 2 Tbsp. melted butter Peanut Butter Cheesecake Ingredients: 16 oz. (2 bricks) cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed 2 eggs, room temperature 1/4 cup heavy cream 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract Chocolate Ganache Ingredients: 1 cup dark chocolate chips 3 Tbsp. heavy cream 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar (or more) Topping: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, crumbled Method To Make The Oreo Cookie Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the finely-crumbled Oreo cookies and melted butter until blended. Press the mixture into your mini cheesecake pan (or other baking pan) in your desired thickness, press until flat, then bake for 5 ...

Natural Hair Highlightes

I am in love with the way that highlights look on your hair, but I'm not so crazy about how much they cost. I found that these will lighten your hair and give you a summertime look for not even half the price. Just apply on your hair before laying in the sun or going out for a day at the beach and come home looking like a blond and bronzed beach goddess! Lemon This is by far the best known of the natural hair highlighters. Mix 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice and 3/4 cup of water in spray bottle. Spray the lemon water onto your hair until damp, do not soak your scalp or spray on skin, it could cause blistering. Leave the mixture on your hair for 2 hours, and spend at least 30 minutes of that time in the sun. Condition your hair before and after you use the lemon juice because it can dry your hair.   Olive Oil You may know that olive oil is a wonderful hair conditioner but many people don't realize it can be used as a natural hair lightener too. Comb a gen...

DIY Beach Spray

 I always wanted the Beach Spray for your hair that gives you the just came off of the beach wavy look, but there so dang expensive! So this is a recipe you can use to make your own!  Things You'll Need Plastic spray bottle 1 tsp. sea salt 8 oz. water 1/2 - 1 tsp. coconut oil, olive oil or light conditioner Lemon Juice 3 drops essential oil (optional) Instructions Pour water into the plastic spray bottle. Add sea salt, NOT table salt. The more salt you add, the more "crunchy," textured and beach like your hair will feel. Add moisturizer to combat the drying factor of the salt. Use coconut oil, olive oil or light conditioner. Avoid adding more than a teaspoon because it can weigh down your hair. Add a few drops of lemon juice to your mixture if you plan on being out in the sun at all. Cute hair and highlights, Score! :) Add essential oil for fragrance and additional benefits. Choose your favorit...