Skip to main content

Apple Pie Cupcakes!

I recomend to read this recipe all the way through before beginning to bake. I multi-task, but you need to find the order that works the best for you! 

I will explain how I assemble and decorate them at the end!


Cinnamon Cupcakes

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
  • Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts. Remove from heat.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
  • Using a  mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until thick ribbons form (about 5 minutes). 
  • Add the flour mixture and beat on low just until incorporated. Don't over mix! 
  • Add milk mixture and vanilla, and beat until blended.
  • Divide evenly among baking tins. Bake at 350°F for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
  • Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Set aside to cool and prepare the next part of the recipe!

Apple Filling

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 or 4 medium apples peeled (optional), cored, and finely diced
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

Directions:


  • Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. 
  • Add in sugars, lemon juice and cinnamon once the butter is melted.
  • Add apples and begin to stir. Keep them moving so all of the pieces are evenly cooked. 
  • Cook until apples are tender and release their juices, for about 10 minutes. 
  • In a small bowl or glass, combine cornstarch and water. Stir constantly until the cornstarch is fully dissolved. Add to apples and stir, cooking until thickened. 
  • Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature. (Cover and refrigerate overnight if you are making them ahead.)
Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients:
2 8oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
1 stick of butter, softened
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 teaspoon of Corn Starch
4-6 cups of Powdered Sugar

Directions:
  • Cream together the butter and cream cheese. They should just be softened and at room temperature, not completely melted. You can't over mix this, so cream together until there is no more lumps!
  • Add in the vanilla and corn starch and mix again.
  • Begin to slowly add in the powdered sugar. DO NOT add it all in at once! Unless you want your kitchen sugar coated that is... You may use more or less powdered sugar than listed, play it by ear and taste as you go.

Vanilla Caramel Sauce

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Directions:


  • Spread sugar in an even layer on the bottom of a tall-sided sauce pan  Cook over medium-low heat, stirring gently with a heat-proof spatula or whisk to promote even browning, until sugar melts.
  • Once the sugar comes to a boil, stop stirring. Watch carefully. When the caramel turns a rich amber color and smells like caramel, remove from heat and immediately whisk in cream. (Caution: Caramel will bubble violently!) 
  • If any sugar has hardened, return to low heat and whisk until smooth.
  • Cool to room temperature. To store or make ahead, transfer to an air-tight container and keep refrigerated. Caramel can be re-warmed in microwave or in a saucepan over low heat, if needed.

Now for assembly and decoration!

Assembly
  • Working with completely cooled cupcakes, use a small knife to cut out a cone shaped wedge from the center.
  • Cut off the part of the wedge that was originally in the center of the cupcake and set aside (yum, snacks!). Save the "lids".
  • Fill each hole with Apple Filling and replace the “lids”
Decoration
  • Pipe the frosting on each cupcake.
  • Drizzle with caramel sauce.
  • Sprinkle (sparingly) with corse sea salt. With all the sweet flavors going on this will balance it out. Just don't over-do it!
  • I like to take one of the cooked apple wedges and stick it into the icing, but that is totally optional. I just think it looks pretty :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Jewels: Shipment One

So I decided to try a new Subscription Box... Remember when that was all I did??  I'm sure most of you have heard of the company Fragrant Jewels.  They create candles, bath bombs, and other fun products, all with rings hidden inside! The first box I received was a present for a friend, and I liked hers so much I decided to try it out as well!  I really wanted a candle though, and sadly this box didn't contain one.  But regardless, this is the Sweet Retreat collection.  The scent is described as "Cool Marine Breeze, Fresh Lavender, and Soothing Chamomile."  It is a bit to floral and fragrant to be especially soothing, but it is very nice and bright for spring. The first item in the box were mini bath bombs.  I actually prefer this size of bath bombs to the big ones!  I was, however, afraid that since they were mini that this product wouldn't come with a ring, which kind of defeats the purpose of Fragrant "Jewels" doesn't it?  But no worries

Best Beach Ever!

So... I am debating on if I should even share this with you because it is so amazing! This is the most absolutely amazing beach I have ever been to in my life! It is Emerald Isle NC it is perfect!  So in my mind it is so perfect because: It is on the beautiful coast of North Carolina (which is where I live, and where I love!) It's name is Emerald ISLE so its on a cute little island (Duh!), at some places o the island you can see the Bogue Sound (yes this is a body of water, and yes this is a real place) and the Atlantic Ocean on the other It is a quite little town so everyone if friendly, and the beaches are never crowded There is a nice little aquarium just up the island a bit The is a little shopping center called Emerald Plantations that includes a movie theater , restaurants, shops, and a river where you can feed Sea Turtles (this is especially fun because there's one that is bigger than my six year old brother! It lives at the bottom and only comes up occasiona

Emerald Isle Pics

I have been asked to post some more of my personal pictures of Emerald Isle since the last post I made, I actually haven't had the opportunity to go back since I got my new camera (and laptop) so I don't have any current pictures. I do happen to have some pictures of the beach (it was early spring and early in the morning, so they are kind of bland) that we went to on a school trip that is just a short distance up the island.  I hope you like them!! :) I PROMISE I will post some more (better ones) as soon as I can!