Skip to main content

Date Box: October

So you may or may not remember, about two Christmases ago I ordered a Date Box!  It had hot chocolate and mugs, with a gingerbread house kit (you can find the full review here).  My boyfriend as I had the most fun with it, and the mugs were gorgeous, so on a whim this October I decided to give it another try!

As stated in the last post, it is about $40 a month, which is a bit steep in my opinion, but if you really need some new date night ideas, then this would be a fun and creative way to get them.  If you search, you can find a discount code bringing the price of your first box down to $5.  I'm not going to post the code because it isn't mine to give out, but they are easy to come by!  They also offer a digital option now, which is $8 a month.  If you scroll down to the bottom of their about page there is a bar where you enter your email and they send you your first digital date for free, which seems to be a cooking class for two!

The experience is significantly more personalized than when I first tried them out.  You now get to take a survey and pick from different options so they can deduce of you are adventurous or have a strict comfort zone, if you like to go out or stay at home, if you are crafty, a foodie, or like to play games, and so on!  They then curate a box based on your options.  They say if you live in select (I'm guessing larger) cities that they will create a date night out for you and send you voucher codes and an itinerary through email instead of a box full of things.

Now on to my date!  It was loosely Halloween themed, but had more of an overall fall fun kind of vibe than strictly Halloween.  We still haven't had the time to fully complete this because of classes, internships, work, visiting home, and you know, life getting in the way, but I don't feel like it was such a Halloween thing that if we do it now it would be weird.

First of all, there is this little book.  This has so much more in it than any usual subscription box would that I think your dat might just fall apart without it!


So the first thingI saw in the box was this caramel apple kit which includes everything but the apples supposedly.  It says it makes 10, but I have my doubts... Would I really need 10 though?  Absolutely not, so this is a pretty fun food to add!  You can get these for about $3.

Next there were two packets of apple cider mix, which is always a fun drink!  The thing is, you can get a whole 10 count box of these for about $3 as well.

And then there's the book.  On the left side it detailed all of the extra things I would need for the caramel apples, and then told me to follow the box.  On the right side it gives all kinds of different ways to "spice up" the simple cider mix they gave us, which is pretty cool!

Next there was a small bag of pop corn and a bag of individual sugar packets to make kettle corn with.  I respect their attempt to include everything in this box that you would need, but I would rather grab a measuring cup and use the sugar in my pantry.  I do love kettle corn though, so I'm not complaining!

That being said, they do include step by step instructions for making the kettle corn, which is quite smart and very helpful.

Finally, there was the cruise ship escape game.  My dad and brother are big into the whole escape game scene right now, and I have to say that I just don't really get it.  I don't want to be trapped in anywhere!  But this one doesn't trap you, so I'm open to it.  It has envelopes inside the box with clues and questions to keep the game going.

This gives a brief overview of how the game works, and tells you how to reach the online portion of the game through your Date Box account.  It also lets you know about a Spotify playlist you can find which is half fun lovey dovy music for the making of the snacks, and half suspenseful music to set the mood for this game.  It is a pretty cool little setup.

And then to end the book there is a little page of conversation starters.  Personally, I find this to be kind of weird.  If you are married or dating, you are generally able to talk to your significant other freely and already know most things about them, so the conversation starters don't full make sense to me, but to each their own.


So overall, I can't say I was as impressed with this box as I was the previous one I ordered back a few years ago.  That one had drinks, keepsake mugs, plus a full activity.  This has a one use activity that I can't fully pin a value on, and a couple of snacks I could have bought full sizes of for myself rather cheaply.  So would I have paid $40 for this?  Definitely not.  But am I upset I bought it?  No, it was a fun experience, just not one I will probably be having again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nadine West: Fourth Shipment

So this wasn't the most successful shipment ever, but I still got one nice piece out of it!  And they left me a sweet surprise which I'll tell you about at the end, so I wasn't upset at all! This is actually two items from my shipment!  This outfit contains both the shirt and leggings from this month, and they kind of go together!   Though I really liked the pattern of the leggings, they are much more like tights.  They were totally see through, which made me pretty sad.  If they were marketed as tights then I wouldn't be too disappointed, but these were called Leggings.  They retailed for $14.49, and I didn't keep them. The shirt fit very well and was extremely comfy.  I have been looking for a shirt this color, so I was pretty excited to see it in my bag, even though it is pretty basic.  This shirt also retailed for $14.49, and I did elect to keep it! These are the "Beauty Within" earrings, and I'm actually pretty sure I received

Three Ways to Christmas Shop on the Cheap

Christmas shopping is something a lot of us tend to put off until the last second, and then are scrambling the week before Christmas to buy things just because you feel like you have to.  You end up buying something, at exorbitant obnoxious prices, that you know the person you are buying for won’t even like! I came up with a few ways you can get awesome presents, not have to kill yourself trying to get them at the last minute, and not break the bank... My first suggestion, is to shop in advance!  I know, this seems super simple, but you wouldn't believe the difference it makes to start a couple months in advance, and just buy things you know the person would like as you see them.  This year, I stopped in an antique shop on my way to work one day, just to look around.  I ended up leaving with this gorgeous bowl, mug, and tea set with I am planning to give to family members, and because the place was about to close down, I got them for half off the original price! Tha

Fab Ab February

So I have been big into working out lately, because who doesn't want to look their very best when vacation time comes! I found this workout calendar on Pinterest so I'm not able to give you the link to the exact website but I thought if you liked it enough you could copy, or print it out. I have been looking for the rest of the months that go with this but so far this is the only one I've found. I am doing it myself and so far its working pretty well, I would love for you to do this with me, just comment below and tell me any of your thoughts about it . Enjoy!! :)