2 cups of All-Purpose Flour
2/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
3/4 cup Shortening
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Water
- Preheat oven to 350°, and line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Beat in the sugar slowly in increments, beat for 2 minutes longer.
- Beat in eggs, sour cream and vanilla until well blended.
- Alternate adding in the flour mixture from step 2, and water until just blended. Don't overmix!
- Divide evenly among muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Remove from the pan and cool completely on racks
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
1 cup Marshmallow Cream
2/3 cup Butter, softened
1 tablespoon Vanilla
6 cups Powdered Sugar
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add in marshmallow cream and vanilla, mix until smooth.
- Slowly begin to add in powdered sugar. You may use more or less, 6 cups is just a recommendation. Add until it is stiff enough to hold it's shape, but not to stiff to pipe.
- Press a pretzel half into the side of the cupcake, to resemble the cup handle
- Pipe three dollops of frosting, to resemble melted marshmallows
- Sprinkle with cocoa