Skip to main content

College Countdown: Basic College Packing List

In this list I'm not going to go over every single thing.  Throughout this week I will do separate posts on Clothing and Makeup etc.  On Saturday of this week I will post a concise version of this including everything mentioned.  For now I would just like to go over basics such as kitchen items, "school supplies" and other items you may not have thought of!

Kitchen
These are basics that you might need if you are in a dorm and do not necessarily have a kitchen.  I will have a sink, so it will be doable for me to wash dishes as needed.  If you do not have a sink you might consider buying disposable silverware and dishes so you won't have to wash them in the bathroom.
  • Plastic Bowls
  • Plastic Cups
  • Tumblers or Reusable Water Bottles - I recommend this regardless of if you have a sink.
  • Brita Pitcher - The water will probably be different from what you are used to, and this will make the transition easier
  • Ice Cube Trays
  • Plastic Ice Cubes - If the water is just too gross or you don't want your drink watered down.
  • Forks and Spoons 
  • Kitchen Knife
  • Paper Plates - I am bringing reusable dishes, except for plates.  Paper plates are cheap, easy, and you probably won't even go through a pack in a year
  • Travel Mug - For hot drinks
  • Mug(s) - Just not too many!
  • Tupperware - Not a ton, just a few small containers
  • Chip Clips
  • Ziplock Bags
  • Paper Towels
  • Dish Detergent - Very small travel bottle
  • Dish Towels

Cleaning
  • Trash Bags
  • Trashcan
  • Swifter Duster/Dusting Cloths - You might not use them often, but you will really appreciate it when you need them!
  • Broom and Dust Pan
  • Vacuum Cleaner - Ok, this one I'm kind of on the fence about... I kind of wish I had one because our rug is pretty gross, but to a certain degree it also seems impractical. I don't know! 
  • Lysol - What if your roommate gets sick??
  • Fabreze - Dorm rooms stink...
  • Clorox Wipes
  • Windex - If you have a mirror in your room

Laundry
  • Laundry Bag/Hamper
  • Laundry Detergent - I suggest the pods if you don't have an in room washer
  • Fabric Softener/Dryer Sheets
  • Stain Stick - Must have!
  • Scarf Hangers 
  • Hangers - Like I've said before, many people reccommend the thin felt hangers, but I just use the cheap plastic ones and completely happy with it!
  • Sewing Kit
  • Safety Pins
  • Wrinkle Removing Spray - Who needs an iron when you can just spray your clothes and let the wrinkles fall out!
  • Tide-to-Go Pen

Medical 
Keep in mind that I am absolutely NOT a doctor, these are just my reccomendations.  Check with your personaly doctor before taking any type of medication
  • Bandaids
  • Ear Plugs - In case your roommate snores
  • Medicine
    • Ibuprofen - Or your favorite type of legal over the counter pain killer
    • Cold Meds
    • Prescription Meds
  • Neosporin
  • Hydrocortisone Cream
  • Cough Drops
  • Vitamins
  • First Aid Kit - Could be a basic one like one from Walmart, or a intense homemade one like mine!
  • Heating Pad - Because cramps are a....
  • Pads and Tampons
  • Bug Spray
  • Sunscreen
  • Aloe

Bedding
  • Sheets
  • Mattress Cover - Like, bedbug protector
  • Mattress Pad - Because dorm beds are incredibly uncomfortable
  • Comforter Set
  • Throw Pillows - But not too many, they begin to get on your neves when there are too many
  • Pillow
  • Stuffed Animal - Once again, limit yourself!
  • Throw Blanket 
  • Bedside Caddy - In case you don't have a bedside table

Desk
  • Backpack
  • School Supplies - All of these are just suggestions, it isn't like elementry school, this isn't a must buy supply list, just feel it out and see what you think you need.  I'll mark the things I highly suggest with a *
    • Pens*
    • Pencils*
    • Pencil Sharpener
    • Highlighters*
    • Sharpies
    • Stapler/Staples*
    • Tape
    • Scissors
    • Notecards*
    • Paper Clips
    • Notebooks*
    • Loose Leaf Paper
    • Composition Books
    • File Folders
    • Binders
    • Flash Drive
    • Blank Cards/Thank You Cards
    • Envelopes
    • Stamps




  • Organizer Baskets - To keep your desk and drawers all pretty!
  • Letter Organizer
  • Pencil Cups
  • Desk Lamp
  • Desk Fan
  • Planner/Planner Stickers
  • Washi Tape - To decorate EVERYTHING! Especially your planner!
  • Post it Notes - I love these... So so much
  • Books - Don't bring a ton of books, I promise you won't spend that much time reading!




  • Journal
  • Bible - This one is necessary though!
  • Devotional
  • Pleasure Reading
  • Textbooks

    Electronics
    • Phone Charging cord
    • External Power Bank/Power Bank Charging cord
    • Laptop/Laptop Charging cord
    • Earbuds
    • Power Strip(s) - Bring MANY of these!  But check your schools restrictions on the number of outlets they are alowed to have and things like that
    • Batteries
    • Flashlight
    • Camera
    • SD Card Converter - To transfer pictures from your camera to your laptop!
    • FitBit/Charging cord
    • TV/DVD Player
    • DVDs - Just not too many

    Room Essentials/Decor
    • Rug
    • Mini Fridge
    • Microwave
    • Under Bed Storage Bins
    • Plastic Three Drawer Sets - These are a life saver, believe me
    • Command Hooks and Strips/Mounting Putty - Buy more than you think you'll need, because you will use them like crazy
    • Bed Risers - I brought them, but decided not to use them.  To each his own
    • Ottoman
    • Step Stool - This is neccessary if you are short like me and have your bed lofted or have a high closet
    • Over-the-door Hooks
    • Big Fan - Especially if you have no air conditioning
    • Full Length Mirror
    • Pictures - Of family, friends, and important memories that you want to hang on your walls, don't bring too many though!
    • Posters/Canvases  - And make sure they are hangable, becuase mine keep falling off the walls...
    • Cork Board/Push Pins
    • Whiteboard/Markers
    • String Lights
    • Plants - Not too many, and preferably things like cacti and succulents that will be ok when you forget to water them... because you will forget

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Reese's Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake

    Reese's Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake So I made this recipe for my dad's Birthday and everyone absolutely loved it! Thought you might want to try it, Good Luck! :) Ingredients Oreo Cookie Crust Ingredients: 1 cup finely-crumbled Oreo cookies 2 Tbsp. melted butter Peanut Butter Cheesecake Ingredients: 16 oz. (2 bricks) cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed 2 eggs, room temperature 1/4 cup heavy cream 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract Chocolate Ganache Ingredients: 1 cup dark chocolate chips 3 Tbsp. heavy cream 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar (or more) Topping: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, crumbled Method To Make The Oreo Cookie Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the finely-crumbled Oreo cookies and melted butter until blended. Press the mixture into your mini cheesecake pan (or other baking pan) in your desired thickness, press until flat, then bake for 5 ...

    Natural Hair Highlightes

    I am in love with the way that highlights look on your hair, but I'm not so crazy about how much they cost. I found that these will lighten your hair and give you a summertime look for not even half the price. Just apply on your hair before laying in the sun or going out for a day at the beach and come home looking like a blond and bronzed beach goddess! Lemon This is by far the best known of the natural hair highlighters. Mix 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice and 3/4 cup of water in spray bottle. Spray the lemon water onto your hair until damp, do not soak your scalp or spray on skin, it could cause blistering. Leave the mixture on your hair for 2 hours, and spend at least 30 minutes of that time in the sun. Condition your hair before and after you use the lemon juice because it can dry your hair.   Olive Oil You may know that olive oil is a wonderful hair conditioner but many people don't realize it can be used as a natural hair lightener too. Comb a gen...

    DIY Beach Spray

     I always wanted the Beach Spray for your hair that gives you the just came off of the beach wavy look, but there so dang expensive! So this is a recipe you can use to make your own!  Things You'll Need Plastic spray bottle 1 tsp. sea salt 8 oz. water 1/2 - 1 tsp. coconut oil, olive oil or light conditioner Lemon Juice 3 drops essential oil (optional) Instructions Pour water into the plastic spray bottle. Add sea salt, NOT table salt. The more salt you add, the more "crunchy," textured and beach like your hair will feel. Add moisturizer to combat the drying factor of the salt. Use coconut oil, olive oil or light conditioner. Avoid adding more than a teaspoon because it can weigh down your hair. Add a few drops of lemon juice to your mixture if you plan on being out in the sun at all. Cute hair and highlights, Score! :) Add essential oil for fragrance and additional benefits. Choose your favorit...