Skip to main content

College Countdown: Basic College Packing List

In this list I'm not going to go over every single thing.  Throughout this week I will do separate posts on Clothing and Makeup etc.  On Saturday of this week I will post a concise version of this including everything mentioned.  For now I would just like to go over basics such as kitchen items, "school supplies" and other items you may not have thought of!

Kitchen
These are basics that you might need if you are in a dorm and do not necessarily have a kitchen.  I will have a sink, so it will be doable for me to wash dishes as needed.  If you do not have a sink you might consider buying disposable silverware and dishes so you won't have to wash them in the bathroom.
  • Plastic Bowls
  • Plastic Cups
  • Tumblers or Reusable Water Bottles - I recommend this regardless of if you have a sink.
  • Brita Pitcher - The water will probably be different from what you are used to, and this will make the transition easier
  • Ice Cube Trays
  • Plastic Ice Cubes - If the water is just too gross or you don't want your drink watered down.
  • Forks and Spoons 
  • Kitchen Knife
  • Paper Plates - I am bringing reusable dishes, except for plates.  Paper plates are cheap, easy, and you probably won't even go through a pack in a year
  • Travel Mug - For hot drinks
  • Mug(s) - Just not too many!
  • Tupperware - Not a ton, just a few small containers
  • Chip Clips
  • Ziplock Bags
  • Paper Towels
  • Dish Detergent - Very small travel bottle
  • Dish Towels

Cleaning
  • Trash Bags
  • Trashcan
  • Swifter Duster/Dusting Cloths - You might not use them often, but you will really appreciate it when you need them!
  • Broom and Dust Pan
  • Vacuum Cleaner - Ok, this one I'm kind of on the fence about... I kind of wish I had one because our rug is pretty gross, but to a certain degree it also seems impractical. I don't know! 
  • Lysol - What if your roommate gets sick??
  • Fabreze - Dorm rooms stink...
  • Clorox Wipes
  • Windex - If you have a mirror in your room

Laundry
  • Laundry Bag/Hamper
  • Laundry Detergent - I suggest the pods if you don't have an in room washer
  • Fabric Softener/Dryer Sheets
  • Stain Stick - Must have!
  • Scarf Hangers 
  • Hangers - Like I've said before, many people reccommend the thin felt hangers, but I just use the cheap plastic ones and completely happy with it!
  • Sewing Kit
  • Safety Pins
  • Wrinkle Removing Spray - Who needs an iron when you can just spray your clothes and let the wrinkles fall out!
  • Tide-to-Go Pen

Medical 
Keep in mind that I am absolutely NOT a doctor, these are just my reccomendations.  Check with your personaly doctor before taking any type of medication
  • Bandaids
  • Ear Plugs - In case your roommate snores
  • Medicine
    • Ibuprofen - Or your favorite type of legal over the counter pain killer
    • Cold Meds
    • Prescription Meds
  • Neosporin
  • Hydrocortisone Cream
  • Cough Drops
  • Vitamins
  • First Aid Kit - Could be a basic one like one from Walmart, or a intense homemade one like mine!
  • Heating Pad - Because cramps are a....
  • Pads and Tampons
  • Bug Spray
  • Sunscreen
  • Aloe

Bedding
  • Sheets
  • Mattress Cover - Like, bedbug protector
  • Mattress Pad - Because dorm beds are incredibly uncomfortable
  • Comforter Set
  • Throw Pillows - But not too many, they begin to get on your neves when there are too many
  • Pillow
  • Stuffed Animal - Once again, limit yourself!
  • Throw Blanket 
  • Bedside Caddy - In case you don't have a bedside table

Desk
  • Backpack
  • School Supplies - All of these are just suggestions, it isn't like elementry school, this isn't a must buy supply list, just feel it out and see what you think you need.  I'll mark the things I highly suggest with a *
    • Pens*
    • Pencils*
    • Pencil Sharpener
    • Highlighters*
    • Sharpies
    • Stapler/Staples*
    • Tape
    • Scissors
    • Notecards*
    • Paper Clips
    • Notebooks*
    • Loose Leaf Paper
    • Composition Books
    • File Folders
    • Binders
    • Flash Drive
    • Blank Cards/Thank You Cards
    • Envelopes
    • Stamps




  • Organizer Baskets - To keep your desk and drawers all pretty!
  • Letter Organizer
  • Pencil Cups
  • Desk Lamp
  • Desk Fan
  • Planner/Planner Stickers
  • Washi Tape - To decorate EVERYTHING! Especially your planner!
  • Post it Notes - I love these... So so much
  • Books - Don't bring a ton of books, I promise you won't spend that much time reading!




  • Journal
  • Bible - This one is necessary though!
  • Devotional
  • Pleasure Reading
  • Textbooks

    Electronics
    • Phone Charging cord
    • External Power Bank/Power Bank Charging cord
    • Laptop/Laptop Charging cord
    • Earbuds
    • Power Strip(s) - Bring MANY of these!  But check your schools restrictions on the number of outlets they are alowed to have and things like that
    • Batteries
    • Flashlight
    • Camera
    • SD Card Converter - To transfer pictures from your camera to your laptop!
    • FitBit/Charging cord
    • TV/DVD Player
    • DVDs - Just not too many

    Room Essentials/Decor
    • Rug
    • Mini Fridge
    • Microwave
    • Under Bed Storage Bins
    • Plastic Three Drawer Sets - These are a life saver, believe me
    • Command Hooks and Strips/Mounting Putty - Buy more than you think you'll need, because you will use them like crazy
    • Bed Risers - I brought them, but decided not to use them.  To each his own
    • Ottoman
    • Step Stool - This is neccessary if you are short like me and have your bed lofted or have a high closet
    • Over-the-door Hooks
    • Big Fan - Especially if you have no air conditioning
    • Full Length Mirror
    • Pictures - Of family, friends, and important memories that you want to hang on your walls, don't bring too many though!
    • Posters/Canvases  - And make sure they are hangable, becuase mine keep falling off the walls...
    • Cork Board/Push Pins
    • Whiteboard/Markers
    • String Lights
    • Plants - Not too many, and preferably things like cacti and succulents that will be ok when you forget to water them... because you will forget

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Emerald Isle Pics

    I have been asked to post some more of my personal pictures of Emerald Isle since the last post I made, I actually haven't had the opportunity to go back since I got my new camera (and laptop) so I don't have any current pictures. I do happen to have some pictures of the beach (it was early spring and early in the morning, so they are kind of bland) that we went to on a school trip that is just a short distance up the island.  I hope you like them!! :) I PROMISE I will post some more (better ones) as soon as I can!

    Nadine West: Fourth Shipment

    So this wasn't the most successful shipment ever, but I still got one nice piece out of it!  And they left me a sweet surprise which I'll tell you about at the end, so I wasn't upset at all! This is actually two items from my shipment!  This outfit contains both the shirt and leggings from this month, and they kind of go together!   Though I really liked the pattern of the leggings, they are much more like tights.  They were totally see through, which made me pretty sad.  If they were marketed as tights then I wouldn't be too disappointed, but these were called Leggings.  They retailed for $14.49, and I didn't keep them. The shirt fit very well and was extremely comfy.  I have been looking for a shirt this color, so I was pretty excited to see it in my bag, even though it is pretty basic.  This shirt also retailed for $14.49, and I did elect to keep it! These are the "Beauty Within" earrings, and I'm actually pretty sure I received

    Three Ways to Christmas Shop on the Cheap

    Christmas shopping is something a lot of us tend to put off until the last second, and then are scrambling the week before Christmas to buy things just because you feel like you have to.  You end up buying something, at exorbitant obnoxious prices, that you know the person you are buying for won’t even like! I came up with a few ways you can get awesome presents, not have to kill yourself trying to get them at the last minute, and not break the bank... My first suggestion, is to shop in advance!  I know, this seems super simple, but you wouldn't believe the difference it makes to start a couple months in advance, and just buy things you know the person would like as you see them.  This year, I stopped in an antique shop on my way to work one day, just to look around.  I ended up leaving with this gorgeous bowl, mug, and tea set with I am planning to give to family members, and because the place was about to close down, I got them for half off the original price! Tha